Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember the primary purpose of component
protocol was to multihome gateways and other services (eg, MUC) on a single
XMPP server which bound to the S2S port. Without this, you'd either need an
XMPP reverse proxy (which component protocol almost is, almost) or one IP
address per service you wanted to host.

SRV records allow each service to be bound to a different port, eliminating
the need for a single server to proxy S2S connections to respective
services. This implementation detail should have zero nominal impact on
either clients or S2S, lack of it as a feature would only impact sysadmins
trying to run XMPP components.

Beyond that, I'd think any XEP on the MTI list should be standards track,
not historical.