On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Diane Trout <di...@ghic.org> wrote:

> Also a better justification for the component protocol is that it
> allows people to develop reasonably portable new features like xep 363.
> https://github.com/siacs/HttpUploadComponent

I agree with you that being able to implement a new feature with a
server-agnostic codebase is a cool feature.

However, XEP-0114 does not cover the ability to have an external process
add support for a new XEP. That is certainly a feature that many modern
XMPP servers support, but AFAIK that protocol has never been documented in
a XEP - certainly not this one.

Further, there's absolutely valid reasons why an author may not want to
support it (eg, security).