Hi Marvin,
thanks for your thoughts.

Am 08. Januar 2018 um 10:28 Uhr +0100 schrieb Marvin Gülker:
> A single centralised server (even if it is a strong one) sounds like a
> bad idea to me. It is a single point of failure still and I don't like
> the aspect of a single authority in control of a probably important
> piece of the XMPP infrastructure.

I don't see the problem that serious. This list server would only need
to be queried by clients once when a user wants to register a new
account which will not happen very often.

Furthermore a failed query would not be fatal. Clients could just
fallback to handling user-registrations like it is right now.

> If it's desirable to have such a list,
> why not federate it amongst all the XMPP servers? That way, a client
> could download the list from *any* XMPP server, which will distribute
> load and keep the list resistant against unwanted modifications at a
> single point. Still, a single server admin should probably be allowed to
> make local modifications to the list (which should then not be
> distributed).

Of course a list server does not have to be a single instance (as I
wrote in my initial proposal). Nothing has to be restricted or forced in
any way. If someone wants, he could just setup his own list server.
Sharing information between list servers then is a logical feature.

> XMPP is often compared to e-email when one wants to describe the
> federated nature. E-Mail does not suffer from the selection problem
> appearently; I'm sure everyone of us has encountered e-mail addresses at
> a great number of completely different and unrelated e-mail
> providers. It's difficult for me to see why the very same aspect is more
> difficult in XMPP then in e-mail. Maybe the problem is more an
> explanation problem than a technical one?

I agree with you basically and guess that if XMPP would have evolved
sooner (i.e. before WhatsApp), the situation today would be different.
There would be more good and well-known XMPP servers and the
decentralized concept would be just a normal thing.

Unfortunately the simple fact is that WhatsApp spoiled the users:

A) Install (Whats)App, verify code, select contact, write message.

is much more easy than

B) Install XMPP-App, choose server, enter desired JID, add contact
button, enter contacts JID, select contact, write message.

I see a problem with "choose server" right now, because:
- Not every client developer wants to setup and maintain a good xmpp
server by himself (ChatSecure for example).
- Not every XMPP server is a good choice for the user. So if someone
decides to not use the developer's server he needs to get further
information, understand what MAM, Push, Stream Management, etc. means,
find a server that supports that and register there or get that
information from someone who explains this to him.

Even the need for explanation is a bad thing here! People can use
WhatsApp without the need for any explanation. Why should XMPP be different?

Stefan