We currently have a pre-existing central directories of XMPP domains at
https://xmpp.net/directory.php - the code powering the observatory is
available (the most up-to-date code is in Jonas' repo:
https://github.com/horazont/xmppoke-frontend-docker )

The upside of that project is that it's an established code base, publicly
available as open source and functionally already performs a variety of
checks against XMPP domains. Additionally, Jonas and the XSF iteam spent
quite some time to make it run in Docker, which making it easy for anyone
to run their own instance. The downside is that feature checks (and perhaps
an API to be used by clients?) still need to be put in.

0.02$