> * Jonas Wielicki <jo...@wielicki.name> [2017-12-19 09:58]:
>> Title: User Avatar to vCard-Based Avatars Conversion
>
> This is a nice and short patch to the convoluted avatar vs. MUC problem
> we are having.
>
> My only issue is that an 84-only client will upload the avatar under the
> assumption that it will be limited to contacts, but the server will open
> it to the whole world. Requiring a client update to let the user know
> the implications is not how this problem can be solved.

I'm aware of this 'problem' and so is the XEP (as indicated in the
security considerations)

>  - the PEP avatar node is 'open' access, OR

Doesn’t really work right now because prosody doesn't allow access
control. And most clients don't have code for this either

>  - the requester is subscribed to the user, OR

Doesn't work in (anonymous) MUCs which is one of the key reasons for this XEP.

>  - the requester has received directed presence from the user.

Doesn't work in MUC either I believe. (You can't send directed
presence in muc iirc)

I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist but unfortunately your
solutions don't really work either at least not right now.

The XEP already has a statement regarding further changes in regards
to access model 'open'

cheers
Daniel