On 12 Jan 2018, at 09:04, Daniel Gultsch <dan...@gultsch.de> wrote:
> I see the compliance suite as a list of XEPs that should be
> implemented if you want to create a modern day instant messenger.

Indeed, and I think this includes useful interop, not with long-abandoned
software but with the current state of the network.

> There I oppose the idea of putting 0153, 0049 in there - especially if
> you consider this a guideline for someone implementing a new server it
> doesn't make any sense whatsoever to implement 0049.

But as a client dev, if I was implementing a new client, I would almost
certainly implement -49, in order to have interop with the vast majority of
currently deployed stuff, and as a server dev I would absolutely certainly
implement 49 - probably as one of the first things I did. I don’t think -49
here is a crude hack, but rather the state of the union.

> I am open to putting a slightly updated version of 0153 in the 2019
> compliance suite after we accepted the pep-vcard conversion and after
> we put (configurable) access control in front of 0153. That will give
> us the option of very carefully defining that 0153 is meant to be read
> only. But 0153 is not ready in that regard and should wait until 2019.

153 is pretty ready, it’s been widely deployed for years. We’d be doing devs a
disservice if we told them that they should implement 84 and ignore 153, as
they would soon find out that very few clients do 84, of those some don’t do it
in an interoperable way, and the majority of deployed software does 153.

To this end, how about we include 153 in the listing as a piece of friendly
advice only, and leave 84 as the MTI for compliance? I feel a dev would be
rightly annoyed if they implemented 84 on the advice of 387, only to find most
avatars unreadable.

/K