Hi everyone!

A transport wants to inform a xmpp user (say, exam...@xmpp.org) of a message
sent by the associated legacy network account (say, exam...@skype.com) from a
different legacy client (e.g. Skype for PC).

Looks like this is a job for XEP-0280 carbons, right? But since XMPP server had
never seen the original message, the carbons have to be sent by the transport
manually.

    <message to=exam...@xmpp.org/resource type=chat
...><sent><forwarded><message to=example_cont...@skype.com ...>

This works, but one XMPP server software upon seeing the carbon which it had
not produced itself, produces additional carbons of it:

    <message to=exam...@xmpp.org ...> <received><forwarded> <message
to=exam...@xmpp.org> <sent><forwarded> <message to=example_cont...@skype.com
...>

This can be suppressed by including the <no-copy...> hint, but still isn't this
weird?

I've reported this as a bug, but the developers say they're following the rules
of XEP-0280. (Which simply says to carbon all "chat" messages)

    https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0280.html#which-messages

I'm arguing that the rules of XEP-0280 say the server "MAY or MAY not use" the
precise list and "SHOULD follow the general intent", and what sense is there in
producing carbons of carbons?

But they've sent me here, saying they won't alter the rules of XEP-0280.

So my question is, what's the correct approach here? Should the carbons of
carbons be produced or avoided? Do the rules really say to produce these?

Thank you!