On 21 Feb 2018, at 18:42, Georg Lukas <ge...@op-co.de> wrote:

> * Jonas Wielicki <jo...@wielicki.name> [2018-01-25 15:57]:
>>> However, then we need to define how the client can determine whether
>>> this Data Form is a PREAUTH compatible form, and whether the user is
>>> still required to add more content.
>>
>> This can easily be done. Just specify the field @var. If the form has a
>> field
>> with that specified @var, hide it from the UI and insert the preauth token
>> automatically on submit.
>
> This is not overly complex logic, but it requires a full data forms
> display in the client,

This is required anyway, though, as there might be additional fields to fill in
for registration.

> and then manipulation of the form before display,

Does it need manipulation before display? We have ‘hidden’ fields.

> plus addition of a hidden field when sending the response.

Doesn’t need to be added, just populated from when the server included it.

> And then we
> also have to solve the i18n issue with the field names.

But that’s an issue that goes beyond 401, isn’t it?

> But we need to extend the IBR flow anyway, so I don't really see a
> compelling reason to use data forms here as opposed to an additional XML
> element in the 'jabber:iq:register' block.

I don’t see a compelling reason *not* to. I don’t think it’s adding any
significant complexity on the client, and uses our existing extension
mechanisms instead of inventing new ones.

/K