On 3/5/18 12:17 AM, Jonas Wielicki wrote:
> On Sonntag, 4. März 2018 19:42:39 CET Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>> I would argue that adding those restrictions / any kind of string prepping
>>> to XEP-0060 or XEP-0030 nodes is (a) too late and (b) ambiguous at least,
>>> as you mentioned (depending on the data).
>>
>> I would argue that not specifying normalization rules is a security hole
>> (e.g., allowing an attacker to gain unauthorized access to a node). Just
>> because we should've done this years ago doesn't mean we can fix it now.
>
> Hm, okay, I don’t seem to understand the attack vector. Could you spell it
> out
> more clearly to me?

Here's a true, non-XMPP example: I have the account stpe...@gmail.com.
However, Google ignores "." in the localpart. Therefore I receive some
email messages intended for st.pe...@gmail.com. I could probably reset
passwords (via email-based authentication) and take over other accounts
associated with st.pe...@gmail.com.

Similarly, let's say you create a node "foo2" at pubsub.example.com. If
I know that this service decomposes superscript characters to their
compatibility equivalents, I could create a node "foo²" (the last
character is U+00B2 = SUPERSCRIPT TWO) and the service would consider it
to be the same as "foo2". Now I can publish notifications to your node
without ever trying to take over your account - I just use my "foo²" node.

Here is a real-world example (using an old version of XMPP nodeprep, no
less!):

https://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/

Let me know if the attack vector is still not clear. :-)

Peter