Yes transferring files would make sense and the name of the xep kinda
indicates that this might be the purpose. However the XEP goes on
describing itself as a way to communicate all kind of URIs. And I have seen
clients doing this in the wild (=when ever the user enters and sends some
kind of Uri the client would generate a xoob tag)