I implemented this several times for various closed systems. I always
attached a per message timeout that started the moment the message was
read. No timeout changes after a message has already been sent.
Ironically most of my implementations would probably be compatible
with each other if it weren’t for the closed, non federating systems.
I brought this up in the xsf muc recently if I should write a XEP for
what I’ve been implementing repeatedly. But people didn’t seem very
interested.

cheers
Daniel