Thats why he wrote, it should only available for encrypted messages,
because we have no way to delete messages from an archive.

Also you can not decrypt OMEMO encrypted messages a second time, so if
you delete the message once from your device, its gone for good.

The idea in combination with OMEMO, minus all the proposed "try to
determine support on the other side" would be easy to implement and
would work

regards