Quoting Alexander Krotov <ilab...@gmail.com>:
Disappearing messages without end-to-end encryption and forward
secrecy are useless at best. They give the user false sense of
security. That is why Telegram implements timers for "secret" chats
only I believe, as I said in the first message.

I respectfully disagree.

Timers (or "ephemeral messages") are not a security feature, but only
a means of data hygiene.

Therefore it is orthogonal to any encryption and it does also not
matter, whether your peer or one of your peers devices or resources
does implement the feature or not. No need to check. As sender, just
use the timers and let the problem of deleting messages to the
recipient.

Cheers