On 4 June 2018 at 11:37, Steve Kille <steve.ki...@isode.com> wrote:

> To support IQs in MIX-CORE, there needs to be an addressing  and routing
> scheme.
>
> I am proposing that this uses a different scheme to messages from the
> channel (this is Kev's variant 4).
>
> The rationale for having a different scheme is that you want to be able to
> distinguish from a stanza that comes from the channel, from a stanza  (IQ)
> that is relayed by the channel.

I think that's a false dichotomy.

Whether a stanza is "relayed" or not really depends on your viewpoint.

For example, some people see messages as relayed, and others see them as a
notification from the channel that a new message was submitted.

You might say that IQs are relayed; I might argue that they're serviced by
the channel - and the channel may service them by, itself, performing an
equivalent IQ.

> A message distributed by the channel would come from:
>     channel@domain/stable-participant-id
>
> Bare JID is the channel, reflecting that the message comes from the
> channel.
>
> An IQ message being relayed by the channel would come from:
>     stable-participant-id#channel@domain/resource
>
> Bare JID reflects the sender, which will enable the receiver to clearly
> distinguish that this is not coming from the channel.
>
> We want to use this scheme for PMs (MIX-ANON), and here the difference
> becomes more important.   You want to clearly distinguish messages from the
> channel from PMs, and this approach gives a framework to achieve this.

So type='groupchat' is no longer enough?