Daniel,

I've been observing dialogue.   A few points.

First, the Avatar for a MIX channel is an associated with the channel, not
with individual participants.  So an XSF MIX channel might have an XMPP logo
as the avatar.  This would be very stable.

It feels like you want to have unique identifiers for users.   This is what
the JID is for.  In many situations, JID visible rooms will be ideal.

Nicks give a convenient display shorthand, and are also useful where JIDs
are hidden (there are valid use cases).
..
In closed environments, you can have Nick Registration, which can help your
scenario.

In an open scenario, I think having two users in a channel with the same
Nick would cause confusion. And you can't in general decide who gets the
friendly name.

If you use JIDs, and I know you as Daniel, then if I join a channel with you
in, my UI can make clear that this Daniel is the one I already know

Steve