On 29 Nov 2018, at 20:41, Daniel Gultsch <dan...@gultsch.de> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Am Do., 29. Nov. 2018 um 20:22 Uhr schrieb Steve Kille
> <steve.ki...@isode.com>:
>> First, the Avatar for a MIX channel is an associated with the channel, not
>> with individual participants.  So an XSF MIX channel might have an XMPP logo
>> as the avatar.  This would be very stable.
>
> I was talking about user avatars or more broadly getting
> updates/subscriptions from the PEP nodes of participants of a channel.
> The background for that being, if I can’t use the MIX-nick for the
> reasons described above I need to learn their nick by other means.
> One of those means could be the PEP nodes for those people.
>
> So my suggesting was to build some kind of PEP auto subscribe for all
> participants I know across all channels into my MIX PAM.

Yes, we need this (not specifically for nicknames, but for PEP avatars and all
sorts). Thankfully the MIX service has a presence sub and is in your roster, so
has everything it needs to do PEP relaying on the anonmising JIDs (but we
should still spec this).

Specifically on the topic of nicks, I think nick uniqueness in a channel is a
generally useful thing so I’d be sad to lose it completely, but it also seems
like a potentially reasonable config option for the channel, as with the nick
fully detached from addressing in MIX there’s no interop reason for uniqueness.

/K