On Sun, Mar 3, 2019, at 13:51, Dave Cridland wrote:
> Who are you arguing *with*?

The council and new authors. Also specifically the "Pot, kettle, etc."
statement, if you meant my last email.

> I agree it's ridiculous, but I also note that the number of comments
> on the 2019 one is considerably below 20, and possibly less than 15,
> depending on how one counts. The number of people involved in the
> discussion outside Council is less than 5 (and I'm including your
> comments here, which are simply that we should have some Compliance
> Suites).

Then even if we don't think the new ones are ready, let's at least
deprecate the old ones so we don't look like we're not doing our jobs
and no one is working on this. The external perception here isn't great.

The next step would then be to try and figure out why the new ones
aren't ready. I think there are two important things to realize here: 1.
most of the arguments have already been had in previous years suites and
the new ones are similar enough that there aren't likely to be lots of
new comments, and 2. they don't have to be perfect because we'll get
another chance next year. These are guidelines that can be fluid, they
can even have mistakes without it being the end of the world (though of
course we should try to minimize these, but not at the cost of not
having any published).

> If the community isn't interested in working on these, I'm not sure
> how we advance them faster.

If the 2019 suites were finalized right now and the 2020 suites were
already being worked on, we'd have plenty of time for comments. This is
the only way I see the compliance suites working, and what I was trying
to do with previous years.

When it comes down to it though, I don't particularly care how the
situation is resolved, rename the 2018 suites to 2019, just make sure we
have something with a current date on it which is the only way we're
going to be able to get people to take the compliance suites seriously
and not end up in a situation like we had before we picked them up again
where the 2012 suites (or somewhere around there) were the latest ones.

—Sam