On Sunday, March 3, 2019 3:41:44 PM CET Sam Whited wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 3, 2019, at 13:51, Dave Cridland wrote:
> > Who are you arguing *with*?
>
> The council and new authors. Also specifically the "Pot, kettle, etc."
> statement, if you meant my last email.
>
> > I agree it's ridiculous, but I also note that the number of comments
> > on the 2019 one is considerably below 20, and possibly less than 15,
> > depending on how one counts. The number of people involved in the
> > discussion outside Council is less than 5 (and I'm including your
> > comments here, which are simply that we should have some Compliance
> > Suites).
>
> Then even if we don't think the new ones are ready, let's at least
> deprecate the old ones so we don't look like we're not doing our jobs
> and no one is working on this. The external perception here isn't great.
>
> The next step would then be to try and figure out why the new ones
> aren't ready. I think there are two important things to realize here: 1.
> most of the arguments have already been had in previous years suites and
> the new ones are similar enough that there aren't likely to be lots of
> new comments, and 2. they don't have to be perfect because we'll get
> another chance next year. These are guidelines that can be fluid, they
> can even have mistakes without it being the end of the world (though of
> course we should try to minimize these, but not at the cost of not
> having any published).
>
> > If the community isn't interested in working on these, I'm not sure
> > how we advance them faster.
>
> If the 2019 suites were finalized right now and the 2020 suites were
> already being worked on, we'd have plenty of time for comments. This is
> the only way I see the compliance suites working, and what I was trying
> to do with previous years.
>
> When it comes down to it though, I don't particularly care how the
> situation is resolved, rename the 2018 suites to 2019, just make sure we
> have something with a current date on it which is the only way we're
> going to be able to get people to take the compliance suites seriously
> and not end up in a situation like we had before we picked them up again
> where the 2012 suites (or somewhere around there) were the latest ones.
>
> —Sam

I agree with Sam, current situation is not very good marketing for XMPP.
How I see it, we should be focusing on discussing next year's instead.
If there is not enough people engaging with compliance suites I trust Council
to figure out a solution. Sam mentioned pretty valid ways of solving the
problem I think.

Seve.