чт, 28 мар. 2019 г. в 01:00, Sam Whited <s...@samwhited.com>:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019, at 19:33, Ненахов Андрей wrote:
> > How do I turn off markdown processing on your side? I don't even know
> > you do have some thing that misformats my message despite having no
> > intent to be misformatted that way. This is especially a problem when
> > someone is trying to pass parts of computer code or config.
>
> What I'm saying is that *I* want to decide what messages I receive look
> like, why would I want you to be able to arbitrarily turn on or off *my*
> formatting?

Rich text format is a feature that should be explicitly announced, like in
XEP-0071, and with a fallback provided to non-compliant clietns. If you do
some kind of implicit rule that affects output on one end of
communications, it ends badly. I've actually had some experience with this
style of work early in 00s. There were ICQ clients that did some processing
of text, replacing *this* with bold and :) with ugly animated smileys. It
caused an immense amount of grief and pain. Not going back to it again. I'm
kinda OK if someone wants to have markdown-like synthax, but in <markdown
/> tag and with providing a legacy <body>, like 0071 did.

Of course, it doesn't address other goals that we aim to achieve.

> If you send me a message, I should be the one to decide if I
> use your plain text fallback (eg. *bold*) or the actual markdown (bolded
> text). You shouldn't get to decide what I see and don't see. If you
> don't want me to see styling, don't send me something with styling
> directives.
>

> > >  Put another way, just because I want to support bold and italics
> > >  doesn't mean I want to support attaching images.
> > Me neither. I just want them to be neatly organized easy to digest and
> > undestand, without gaps and overlaps.
>
> I agree with that, but reinventing the world again doesn't seem like a
> good way to get there. Just tweak and polish the existing things (unless
> of course one of them really doesn't meet users needs, then we may have to
> rewrite individual components

Well, I imagined the process as fixing 0372 first, then updating 385 and
394 to match it. Removing obsolete XEP references, unifying some rules of
formatting the legacy body, etc.

--
Andrew Nenakhov
CEO, Redsolution, Inc.