On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 13:08, Evgeny <xramt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 8:23 PM, Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net>
> wrote:
> > Overall, my view is that this specification is very unclear and
> > impossible to implement as written.
>
> I don't understand how this will work in practice indeed.
> 1) The "trusted" graph is not connected (i.e. you cannot reach any
> vertex from any other vertex), thus, in the worst case the complexity
> of verification will remain the same. This is especially doubtful,
> since it's speculated that the topology of a social graph has power-law
> distribution [1] and thus only a few people will benefit from the
> "trust transfer".

That's interesting, because my understanding was that the result of ATT was
that if I manually verify one of your keys, I could then transitively trust
all of your keys - I didn't read this as being that I might trust any third
party keys.

> 2) The problem of manual verification is still unresolved, because for
> online persons (i.e. without meeting them offline) you have to use an
> already trusted channel to perform verification, so chicken and egg
> problem.

Indeed, I consider this to be essentially a channel binding problem where
we implicitly trust the "in person" channel - I think Winfried might have a
story to tell on why that can be a fallacious assumption.

> 3) Isn't it better to work on the problem together, i.e. in the context
> of my EAX proposals? If you don't trust the CA or want to have
> additional guarantees you can resort to manual or ATT verification. I
> don't see any contradictions here. Both approaches are kinda
> complementary and can be working together, unless you're reluctant and
> hate CAs.

I think you can (somewhat) combine them in the way that MLS does, where
each person has an identity key which signs each device key, and that
identity key can then be manually, WoT, or CA verified as the users desire.

But then, I'd also argue we should just wait for some real cryptographers
to give us MLS.