On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 at 09:40, Jonas Schäfer <jo...@wielicki.name> wrote:

> On Samstag, 29. Juni 2019 23:32:41 CEST Dave Cridland wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 at 16:56, Ralph Meijer <ral...@ik.nu> wrote:

> fallback

> indicate,
> > >
> > > According to RFC 2782 it means the service xmpps-client is not
> available
> > > at this domain. So I think the answer should be the former. If there
> is a
> > > similar record for xmpp-client, though, you can't connect the regular
> way
> > > either. Maybe there's still another binding (BOSH, WebSocket) that
> could
> > > succeed, but
> > > defining all possible permutations is a bit much.
> >
> > I think:
> >
> > 1) A client ought to, if possible, send the two DNS queries in parallel.
> > 2) If this isn't the case, there's no "right" order.
> > 3) Therefore it'd be possible to obtain some records from _xmpp-client,
> but
> > afterward get a '.' from _xmpps-client.
> > 4) Therefore the only sensible interpretation is that it says direct TLS
> > (xmpps-client) is not supported, and says nothing about the traditional
> > method (xmpp-client).

> > > Agreed.
> >
> > I'm always for documenting things.
> >
> > May as well note here that the '.' target explicitly prevents use of the
> > fallback A/AAAA resolution.
>
> Thanks for your feedback folks.
>
> Here’s a proposal: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/796

OK, two comments, which are essentially both my fault:

1) It's not A/AAAA fallback "as per RFC 6120", because we're talking about
a Direct TLS fallback. It should be per section... erm...
2) This document doesn't mention a A/AAAA fallback at all, and perhaps
that's right - do we ever want one with '368?