On 6 Nov 2019, at 13:57, Daniel Gultsch <dan...@gultsch.de> wrote:

> Am Mi., 6. Nov. 2019 um 13:45 Uhr schrieb Georg Lukas <ge...@op-co.de>:
>>
>> * Kevin Smith <kevin.sm...@isode.com> [2019-11-06 12:24]:
>>> I think the addition of ’66 is well-intentioned, but jabber:x:oob
>>> <jabber:x:oob> is underspecified (it defines a syntax, but semantics are
>>> missing).
>>
>> I agree, but nobody has written down the semantics yet, so there is no
>> place to link to. On the other hand, this approach seems to be so widely
>> used (despite me hating it), that it would be bad _not_ to tell
>> developers about it at all.
>
> I think there is a broader discussion buried in there and that is do
> we want the Compliance Suite to be a guide for developers of the
> publicly federating XMPP network or for independent developers who
> just want to build their own solution based on XMPP.
> The former may find information regarding the current-but arguably not
> very ideal-solution useful. The later will find that utterly confusing
> and would prefer a 'clean' solution.

At the risk of derailing the conversation, I think there are more nuanced
options than these. Some considerations only apply to the Internet. Some others
apply whenever you want interop with off the shelf software, which might be on
(for want of a better description) a ‘private Internet’ - e.g. those things you
need to support because that’s what the state of the art is you will very
possibly still need to support in such cases, even though it’s not on the
Internet Proper. Yes, there are also the ‘completely closed’ cases where you
only use XMPP for the re-use of existing things, rather than for the interop,
and these have different considerations.

> Not that 0066 is just one example were this problem manifests itself.

I think 66 has problems beyond just this, though, as the appropriate way to use
it just isn’t documented that I can see. I don’t think it can be in a
compliance suite as-is.

/K