Hi,

yes, in case of a merge request it would be rather easy to define a text format. Everything can be represented in human readable terms, even random ids :) And bots are obviously free to also accept a text-based command to perform an action. Actions are just a single-click solution for convenience.

Verbosity is something that may sometimes be desired, but sometimes duplicate or annoying. Take the example of the merge again: as soon as you select the "merge" action, the bot performs the merge and then probably sends a new notification, stating that the mr was merged. In that case, having a plaintext "Merge MR!3" would be duplicate and noisy. Another example are polls: if you start a poll in a MUC with hundrets of users, you don't want hundrets of "+1"s or "-1"s to be spammed everywhere. Instead, when the poll ends, the bot would print a summary of the votes. Here the missing plaintext is a "feature".

Gesendet: Dienstag, 21. April 2020 um 14:23 Uhr
Von: "Marvin W" <x...@larma.de>
An: standards@xmpp.org
Betreff: Re: [Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Quick Response
Hi,

To me that still sounds like the only major difference is that actions
are not backwards compatible.

I understand that action IDs can be just random, however I wonder what
the usecase of such is that couldn't be realized using a human-readable
text.

Looking at the example in the XEP, the action id = response value of a
an action/response labeled "Merge now" for a merge request with id 3
could just be "Merge MR!3" which is both human and bot readable. I think
something is wrong with an action if it cannot be described in
human-readable terms.

With regards to fallback, I was thinking that I'd like the fact that I
performed an action be visible on other clients (through MAM/carbons)
even if they don't support this new XEP. For Responses this works but
for Actions it doesn't.

Marvin