Hi Standards,

A year ago during a sprint we worked on implementing bookmarks2 and
submitted a few changes to the spec at the same time.

We also submitted a change to PubSub [0] [1] to allow a client to say
“Set pubsub#max_items to whatever the server max is” so that multiple
clients don't rewrite each other's max value every single time
(alternatively saving the "get" step when configuring the node).

This change to PubSub has been met with some ““resistance”” by the
prosody team because the proposed value “max” is not a number and
doesn't fit the way they currently handle things with XEP-0122 (Data
Forms Validation), setting this value to “integer”.

While this is more restrictive than what PubSub mandates (text-single),
it does indeed make sense to have a “maximum number of items” be
restricted to an int (not discussing which particular type of int, if
there is). And while it's certainly not impossible for them to handle
this “max” value, that would mean going through various hoops with 0122
to get this right.

“-1” was proposed as a placeholder instead.

While it doesn't exactly sit right with me wrt. semantics, I don't
particularly mind and I am currently looking for the path of least
resistance.

So I just opened a PR. https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/984

Now I'm not entirely sure which path is gonna resist me most.. Prosody
or Council? :x

I'm indeed introducing breaking changes for a one-year old feature with
this. I have to admit I'm not entirely fond of introducing yet another
disco feature for the exact same meaning and for a feature that's
probably not used[2], but I would update the PR with some guidance if
necessary.

Happy Hacking,

[0]: https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2019-October/036502.html
[1]: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/840
[2]: Some clients implemented bookmarks2 during the sprint, but most
     have put it behind a flag and/or not even merged yet. I don't think
     any publicly available server implements it?

--
Maxime “pep” Buquet