I think we can all agree - at least that's my impression after reading
this thread and some discussion on this in the channel - that both 0
and 2^31-1 are bad values. The only other numeric solution seems to be
'-1' which doesn’t feel right to me.

All in all I’m in favor of keeping it as 'max' (this is also
compatible with what's currently specced out; just in case someone we
don’t know about did implement it.

Whether or not the current PR is the 'correct' place to define this I
don’t know. It's not an 'incorrect' place.
However maybe we can also define this in 0122 instead? This would
allow other XEPs to reuse this as well. I think this could be
interesting for MUC (max number of participants) or some ad hoc
commands scenarios as well.

I'm probably going to vote +1 on this during today's council meeting.
But I'm OK with being overruled by someone who prefers to stick it
into 0122.

cheers
Daniel