Am Sonntag, den 27.09.2020, 17:45 +0200 schrieb Holger Weiß:
> When opening a new session, MAM clients might want to use the
> most-recent known XEP-0359 stanza ID to sync messages.  One problem
> they
> face is that there's no way to figure out the stanza ID of outgoing
> messages, short of actually querying them back from MAM.  Therefore,
> common workaround is to use the stanza ID of the most-recent
> _incoming_
> message and then de-dup any outgoing messages returned from MAM.
> I'd prefer a solution that doesn't involve reflecting the entire
> stanza
> just to make the client aware of the stanza ID.  So if (1) is not an
> option, I think I'd opt for extending XEP-0359 or XEP-0313 (or, if
> people prefer, adding a new XEP) to return an ACK for outgoing 1:1
> messages.  E.g., something like this:
>
> > <message>
> >   <ack xmlns='urn:xmpp:sid:0' id='42' stanza_id='1234'/>
> > </message>

Yes, this sounds good but in general I'd like to know whether the
message has actually been archived by mam. Are there any other use
cases where stanza_id will be attached to the message (except mam)?
If yes (or planned) then we'd probably need mam-specific reverse id
notification. Eg.

<message from='ro...@montague.lit' to='ro...@montague.lit/orchard'>
  <ack xmlns='urn:xmpp:mam:2' id='28482-98726-73623' oid='42'
archive='store'/>
</message>

under mam namespace it would actually indicate the archiving entity
handled the message under specified ID, regardless of other
requirements to the ID itself. And if MAM skips the archive it may ack
back like:

<message from='ro...@montague.lit' to='ro...@montague.lit/orchard'>
  <ack xmlns='urn:xmpp:mam:2' oid='42' archive='skip'/>
</message>