Hi Dave,

Thanks for your message. From my experience with mobile phone networks
when traveling in Germany (not sure if it applies in other countries, as
German mobile networks are far below average in my experience), I can
confirm that temporary connectivity loss is not handled perfectly well
in some scenarios (although I am not sure if this is a server or client
side issue).

On 04.11.20 12:46, Dave Cridland wrote:
> Our proposal is that when a session is found to be unresponsive, the
> server starts sending push notifications for unacknowledged (and
> future) messages, but otherwise leaves the session live when
> resumable. Only after a significantly longer timeout should the TCP
> session be terminated (and at that point destroy the session
> entirely).

FWIW, this is within the bounds of the current specification. XEP-0357
leaves it completely open which events warrant a push notification.

The prosody mod_cloud_notify already is supposed to send push
notifications when the session is still considered "live", but the
outgoing message was not ack-ed using XEP-0198 for a certain time (can
be configured). When using this together with an increased connection
timeout (which is configurable in prosody's advanced network
configuration as per <https://prosody.im/doc/ports#advanced>) you should
be able to realize something that is pretty close to your suggestion.

Marvin