Georg, you seem to forget the push that is involved.

I think most of your depicted problems would go away if the client would send
a (XEP-0198) ping upon receiving a push and, if that ping does not succeed,
decide that the connection is dead.
That way it won't stick to an old half-dead connection but still use that old
connection if it remained usable.

No second stream needed in this scenario.

- tmolitor