On Fri, Dec 4, 2020, at 14:50, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> But this String will be represented in your programming language's
> native String representation, which may or may not match the bytes on
> the wire.

That's the point, we can't guarantee what the representation is. It
might be something where codepoints makes sense, or it might be one of
the various east Asian encodings that are still popular (or so I've been
told). All of them you can probably figure out how many bytes it would
take to represent the string, but you don't necessarily want to convert
from codepoints to some non-Unicode thing or to some future
representation.

—Sam

--
Sam Whited