On 12/4/20 4:01 PM, Sam Whited wrote:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2020, at 14:50, Florian Schmaus wrote:
But this String will be represented in your programming language's
native String representation, which may or may not match the bytes on
the wire.

That's the point, we can't guarantee what the representation is. > …
> it might be one of the various east Asian encodings that are still
> popular (or so I've been told).

XMPP uses Unicode because XML, upon which XMPP is build, uses Unicode, hence I doubt that you will ever find an API where e.g. Message.getBody() will return data that is not Unicode encoded, but uses some other encoding scheme.

So, I am sorry, but I do not see your point. Furthermore, the Strings of all modern programming languages, I am aware of, allow you to derive the Unicode code points they consist of. And from those code points one can derive grapheme clusters.

- Florian