I tend to agree with this in general (XEPs are hard to format and write,
hard to read, etc.) but also we can barely keep editors around and doing
their full job as is so having two things for them to maintain (or
finding another body to maintain the new documents) seems impractical.
I'd love to hear suggestions for how it could be made easier though.

—Sam