Yes, if you add an already used account to a fresh install of Monal, it will
not show any old history.
But you can the the "pull to load" feature in an open chat to load old
messages not already present in the local history via MAM.

While the "before" may not strictly be necessary, it makes the intention of
the code clearer.

-tmolitor