On 27.08.21 13:12, Andrew Nenakhov wrote:

пт, 27 авг. 2021 г. в 16:03, JC Brand <li...@opkode.com <mailto:li...@opkode.com>>:

    If the site allows users to show multiple chats side-by-side then
    you can't discard chat history.

Ok, so you have users that use so many simultaneous chats and scroll them up and down that fast, so you can't ever dump the messages starting from, say, 20th? Those are mightily rabid users, I must say!

For reasons not worth going into, we disabled infinite scrolling to fetch older messages, so it's not so simple to just restrict the history and then let users scroll up to fetch older messages.

Obviously this doesn't apply to most other use-cases, but my point is that it's dangerous to make assumptions that it's "easy" to just do X and that you never need to cache messages in a webclient.

I'm sure you can get quite far by never caching messages locally, but you are then also restricting yourself to certain use-cases. If you decide to cache messages locally, then you have other tradeoffs to contend with. Converse has always cached messages locally and it's worked well over the years.