Från: Peter Waher<mailto:peterwa...@hotmail.com>
Skickat: den 7 mars 2023 11:44
Till: standards@xmpp.org<mailto:standards@xmpp.org>
Ämne: RE: Proposal against spam

Hello

We use the following simple rules in our clients to avoid spam:

  1.  Normal and Chat Messages received from JIDS without an approved presence
subscription are automatically rejected, unless there’s a valid exception
registered in the client. (I.e. a white-list instead of a black-list is
employed).
  2.  Group Chat Messages from Groups not actively joined are also
automatically rejected.

While (1) is somewhat more restrictive than what the RFCs permit, it works for
all our use cases. In the cases we need unsolicited messages from sources not
in our roster, or without active presence subscriptions, we register explicit
validation handlers. These can algorithmically approve a message to be
delivered through the client. Such a solution (internal filters) avoid routing
messages through external filters (that would become vulnerable from a privacy
and security point of view).

Best regards,
Peter