I strongly disagree that this does not belong in the security considerations. "anonymous" is not a formally provable security property. You and I may know that that means "don't take a SHA-1 and assume that it will be hard to guess", but as we see over and over and over again many people won't (I should start keeping an "X days since I saw a breach due to a website using a naive hash" sign at my desk; it wouldn't get very high).

This seems like a common enough misunderstanding of a complicated topic that I think we should explicitly call it out as the way this is most likely to fail. I can't see that being more explicit could hurt in any way, and if there's a bad thing that defeats the entire purpose of the XEP and is likely to happen, it seems worth calling out.

—Sam

On 2024-05-08 10:29, Marvin W wrote:
On Wed, 2024-05-08 at 10:19 -0400, Sam Whited wrote:
I'd like to see the security considerations expanded on this.

In particular, in the business rules it mentions the fact that if
occupant-id isn't supported it could be spoofed. This should exist in
the security considerations.

Fair.

Also, I suspect the naive way to implement this will be to hash the
bare
JID. We probably want to mention that this is a bad idea and that
these
identifiers should be random (or we should explicitly define the
security properties that are required if they're derived, which
probably
includes using a salt and ensuring high entropy).

This is not only a bad idea, but is very much non-compliant:
"The occupant identifier MUST be generated such that it is anonymous.
This means that it MUST be sufficiently hard to determine the real bare
JID of an occupant from its occupant identifier. Additionally, a MUC
service SHOULD generate the identifier such that the occupant
identifier of a user in one room of the service does not match the
occupant identifier of the same user in another room of the same
service."

Nonetheless could be made even more specific that this is not allowed
(aka MUST NOT just hash using widely known, static parameters).
However, I think this does not belong into Security Considerations, as
not complying is not just "bad for security", but actually defeats the
whole purpose of the XEP.

Marvin