Martin Sebor wrote:

I meant the problems that Liviu was talking about. I.e., if someone
is using a debug build of stdcxx 4.2.0 on Windows, will they be able
to step through stdcxx code? If not, I think it would be worthwhile
to document why and point them to a patch they can download to make
it possible (i.e., your change), or explain how to do it otherwise.

They can step through a debug or release build.  What is especially nice
about using the (/Zi) flag to cc and (/debug /opt:ref) flags to link.exe
is that your .exe looks like a unix stripped binary, no extra debugger
noise, but that the .pdb contains all the binary -> source/diagnostics
you would wish from a unix -g build (unstripped).

All that's required is that your favorite win debugger/dr watson can
see the .pdb alongside the binary (or you put in some horribly complex
pathing or resolve to a symbol server), and that somewhere you have
the sources where the debugger can load them up.  It will prompt the
user for "where is foo.c?"

In httpd, I'd simply set up a subdirectory of binaries (and I've now
moved all of this to http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/
in the symbols/ subdirectory - so it never hits www. mirror server) and
the rare soul who wants the symbols just unzip's them right on top of
an installed program.

If they really use a "debug" build, that's a different story, you want
those to use /O- no-optimization flags so that single stepping is not
half as confusing ;-)

Bill