Yes, it was discussed. From my recollections it actually predated GCM.

The rational was in the text and was edited out at the last revision. The rational is

1) CCM has a smaller hardware and software footprint for implementations that do not need the performance GCM.

2) A side issue (that will not be relevant for long) is that CCM is FIPS certified and GCM is still in process. There is a small possibility that when GCM comes out, there may be subtle restrictions that may or may not affect the GCM specification that we choose.