From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Matt
Ball
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:17 AM
To: Shai Halevi; SISWG
Subject: RE: p1619.1 document (tape), draft version 0.4

Here are a couple comments on using an arbitrarily long IV:

According to the GMAC specification here are the two ways to create Y0 (the
first input into the AES engine):

Y0 = IV || 0x00000001   (if length(IV) = 96 bits)
Y0 = GHASH(H, {}, IV)   (if length(IV) > 96 bits)

(practically speaking, if length(IV) < 96 bits, then zero fill until length(IV)
= 96 bits)