Serge,

>> Making it physically impossible to extract a key is VERY expensive

It is not only very expensive, but impossible (to make an absolute
secure key store). We only attempt to make an attack very expensive. A
secure disk drive need not store anything secret in the clear on the
platters. A few hundred bits can be securely stored in the electronics
in nonvolatile memory. Even better, a random key can be derived from
manufacturing deviations (ST Micro's patented process). This key cannot
be extracted from a non-working chip (for reasonable costs). If the chip
is powered up, it can employ all kind tamper detection, prevention, etc.
Having this secure, hidden key, all other keys can be encrypted with
that, and stored on the disk platters. This is what FIPS 140-2
requires.

But, it is not necessary to store the keys anywhere, even in this
encrypted form. Keys can be mixed (like with XOR) with the user
passwords and only these encrypted and mixed keys are stored. Examining
the platters reveals absolutely no information about the keys (assuming
random passwords).

>> Seagate's proposal best applies to the case where there is an explicit
>> assumption that the disks will never be stolen

Just the opposite! The main point is protection of the stored
information in the case the disks do get stolen.

>> thousands of physical disks with cleartext keys inside every disk

If somebody is stupid enough to do that, he deserves the consequences.
The proposal nowhere suggests storing keys on the platters. It is
trivial and common sense to build security systems, which do not store
anything in the clear, on accessible places, so why do you even bring
it up? We don't tell users not to write their passwords on the disks,
either.

>> anything FIPS 140 compliant with a strong CC protection profile is usually
>> much much more expensive.

These costs are there with or without LRW. If you could extract the key
from a working chip, it does not matter if it encrypts in LRW or
counter mode. And the keys are not permanently stored in the device by
either algorithm.

Laszlo