Rob,

The threat models, the performance requirements and the allowable costs
are fundamentally different.

Although length preserving is not a requirement, it is still desirable.
This is why 4 of the 5 encryption modes proposed in the document do not
extend the length of the data, and the fifth mode adds only 2 bits to
sector. In a disk drive we cannot afford to loose much more than that.

>From a tape you can get the encrypted data. This raw data access
presents problems for disk drives: traffic analysis type attacks become
possible, and the secure storage device can be used as a high-speed
encryptor by the bad guys. This later feature would prevent us from
selling secure drives in many markets, or manufacture them in certain
countries, unless some extra measures are taken.

Disk drives also have performance issues. If you spend more than a few
dozen nanoseconds in encryption, sequential LBA accesses will miss the
next sector, and we have to wait for a whole disk revolution, causing a
hundred fold performance hit.

Laszlo