Rob,

This is a nice summary of the differences between P1619 and P1619.2. I
see a few points differently, though:

> LRW was designed to protect against this shared use of the crypto "oracle".
It does not protect against it. LRW prevents copy-and-paste attacks, and
the manipulation of the plaintext or the ciphertext will not result in
*fully* predictable changes of the other. However, being a one-to-one
mapping, one important manipulation is still possible: changing the
ciphertext will cause the deciphered plaintext to be different.
Therefore, it is not true, that the plaintext is *randomized*, contrary
to the common believes.

> Because of the environment being protected, there was the additional
> requirement that LRW be length-preserving.
I don't think this requirement has anything to do with environment
protection ;-) . It is only a practical convenience, and its importance
is controversial.

> Access to the crypto will be equivalent to access to the entire disk.
If you can plug the cable from the disk to another (non-encrypting)
controller, you have full access to the ciphertext, but no access to
the crypto. The difference is here, if you can tie the crypto to the
medium, you can have controlled access, otherwise we have shared media.

Laszlo