==> Shai

> Even if the plaintext that results from changing the ciphertext was
> truly random (and therefore had 1 in 2^n chance of remaining the same)
> you could still know for sure when it was changed (because you will
> never encounter this 1 in 2^n event).

You again repeat (in different words) what I wrote in my post: "for very
high probability I could still tell if there was a change".

> I will say this for the last time: from this aspect there is no
> difference what do you use for encryption.

You again repeat what I wrote: "any encryption scheme under the above
restrictions will be similarly malleable".

> Enough already.

I agree. There was no reason for you to reword my comments, and make
them look like your own. It just wastes our time and causes unnecessary
email traffic.

==> readers of the reflector

>> Is there any known exploit in the common encryption modes
> There could be.

In other words, Shai does not know any. Has anybody heard about a real
attack on a cipher, in a specific mode, which encrypted its own key
(except LRW)?

> [encrypting own keys] never happens in systems out there.
> Again, this is issue that (a) does not arise in "real world systems"
> (unless they were architected by people who don't know what they are
> doing), and (b) can be trivially solved if an application is unfortunate
> enough to operate in such system.

This discussion became fruitless, unless somebody else is going to share
his views. Shai did not respond to any of my points. (a) This issue has
arisen in real word systems (e.g. users store PGP disk keys in
encrypted volumes), (aa) it has nothing to do with architecting the
system, but with user actions, (b) it cannot be solved, because user
scripts, applets, private databases are just that, private.

> This is my definition of red herring.
It might be Shai's definition of red herring, but it could cause loss of
market, lawsuits, bad reputation, boycott, etc.

> There is also nothing in the standard that prevents you from posting
> your secret key to the web, or many other stupid things that you can do
> with your key. Should we discuss them all on this list?

Yes, there is something (but not in the standard) that prevents people
from posting secret keys: common sense. What common sense reasoning
could warn me to never process, or even just look at my keys in a
Windows computer (because the OS might swap the memory to disk)? An
average user does not know about these dangers.

Only Shai wanted to discuss this problem. It has been acknowledged and
documented. No discussion was ever needed. It is only a documentation
issue. It has to be in the main body of the standard, if there is a
real attack.

> My (unprofessional) guess is that they believe it because it was
> presented to them as a weakness.

Or, maybe, they already encountered a similar problem in their software
based encryption product.

> [the quote from the annex] specifically says that there is no
> authentication and explains exactly what happens when the attacker
> modifies the ciphertext.

An attack is when the attacker gains some direct advantage (otherwise it
is sabotage). What is missing in the specific explanations is, how the
attacker can modify messages in meaningful ways, and some estimates on
its success (like possible, extremely unlikely...). The only relevant
text is: "The behavior of the application on such “random” plaintext
may be beneficial to the attacker." This "maybe" is not specific. The
attack I described translates this obvious sentence to a real life
exploit, with some very rough estimate of success. It is not "maybe",
but a real threat.

> I am now signing off of this argument because I have other things to do.

Hopefully, somebody in the reflector attempts to understand the issues
and gives real arguments. There was nothing else on the table, but how
to word the explanation of shared media. The attack I described was an
illustration of real threats, showing that exploits do exist. Apart
from an unfortunate use of the word "random", there was no real
argument about its viability.

Laszlo