Let's see if I understand this attack:

> When a specially crafted PS document is saved to disk, an attacker can
find it by
> inspecting the changed blocks (since an earlier inspection). If, say,
the second block
> contained 0, and the PS document has a comparison of the value it
finds there to 0, it
> takes a branch, and provides a specific content. However, when an
attacker changed the
> second block, it will not be 0, so another variant of the document is
shown. This way, if
> an attacker can send you an important document, and later he can
access your LRW-AES
> encrypted disk, he can change your saved document to another one. This
vulnerability has
> been shown to affect, PS, PDF, DOC, EXE and many other file types.

So, the attacker has to
1.) send you a specially crafted file,
2.) convince you to save it to an encrypted disk to which he has
ciphertext access
3.) find the document and "randomize" a piece of it
And all this allows him to present you with a variant of the document he
originally sent? This seems to mean that all the attacker can attack is
data sent originally by the attacker? I don't understand the finding the
0 and changing it. This either means he will see a partially randomized
document, or, at best, a document that was delivered to him, but made
invisible by characteristics of the viewer?

How does this enable the attacker to do anything meaningful with data
that he did not provide? At best, it seems this provides a way of
bypassing any authentication/non-repudiation. No system without
authentication will be able to prevent that, and the size-preserving
aspect of LRW precludes authentication.

--------
..Rob

> Changing the ciphertext always creates a "not equal" situation for the

> plaintext
You got it. This is why I kept arguing, that (to our customers)
acceptable security cannot be provided, if an attacker can access
ciphertext.

> what information leakage there is from the changed ciphertext
It is not leakage, but malleability or opening backdoors for other
attacks. As I wrote:

When a specially crafted PS document is saved to disk, an attacker can
find it by inspecting the changed blocks (since an earlier inspection).
If, say, the second block contained 0, and the PS document has a
comparison of the value it finds there to 0, it takes a branch, and
provides a specific content. However, when an attacker changed the
second block, it will not be 0, so another variant of the document is
shown. This way, if an attacker can send you an important document, and
later he can access your LRW-AES encrypted disk, he can change your
saved document to another one. This vulnerability has been shown to
affect, PS, PDF, DOC, EXE and many other file types.

Another attack scenario is when the attacker randomizes all 16-byte
ciphertext blocks of the (by location) easily identified OS files,
one-by-one. He then tests the behavior of the modified files. He could
find exploitable changes in behavior.

> how this is predictable or easily exploitable
The "not equality" is predictable, after changing the ciphertext. See
above for two easy exploits. I am sure, there are many more.

Laszlo