Instead of talking about pedigrees and litmus tests, let's talk about judgment and values.

I'm not big on party loyalty; neither of our major parties deserves it blindly. Political mavericks have a certain appeal to me, as they do to many others.

Had Kelly endorsed an Elmer Anderson or an Arne Carlson--at least if there were any of them left in the Republican Party--I would have found his actions quite forgivable even though they might be "disloyal" in the eyes of party insiders.

On the other hand, Kelly's ability to endorse someone with the social ethics, political philosophy, and competence level of George W. Bush speaks volumes about him. I cannot imagine backing someone for mayor who can be comfortable with the reverse Robin Hood economics, rapacious environmental policies, and disdain for civil liberties of this president. If Kelly had the kind of values I want in our mayor, Bush would be total anathema to him.

We need not read Kelly out of the party or even debate whether he is a "true" DFLer. All we need to do is work for his defeat on grounds that either his political judgment is too atrocious or his political and social values too heartless and shortsighted to make him worthy of leading our city.

Chip Peterson
Mac Groveland