I think this is related to the disappearance of the neighborhood school. My kids
went to different schools, and all their friends went to other different schools.

My kids had bus friends, school friends , church friends, day care friends
 and a few 'block friends', but almost no "neighborhood friends" like we did
when we went to school

I tried to take my kids over to two community centers near us, but they didn't know
anybody at either place, so they lost interest quickly.

The neighborhood school is the anchor of the community. I think we need to strengthen
neighborhood school programs, even if it means getting rid of magnets, though I doubt
that will happen.

In the interest of disclosure, we chose magnet schools for our kids, and the number one reason
was that it would get them away from the kids whose parents didn't care where they went.

By choosing a magnet school, we did something similar to choosing a neighborhood in the old days.
We tried to put our kids in a good environment, with other good kids who had parents that cared
about education and were paying attention.

Bob Treumann
Como