Jacob Dorer - wrote...

First, if you were a minority student, neighborhood schools were failing you.
This may not have been true for all, but was for the majority of poor minority
kids before busing and magnet schools. This happened for a variety of
historical reasons including de facto residential segregation, unequal school
resources, high concentrations of poverty and high student and teacher turnover
in schools. The result was that the kids in poor neighborhood schools were not
getting an equivalent education to kids in white neighborhood schools.

- I'll second that!  I graduated from Humboldt High in 1972 pre-desegregation.
Of my senior class 18 that's right eighteen kids took the standard four years
of pre-collage math.  As the student council president that year, I did an
exchange day with the president of the Highland Park High Student Council (he
went to my classes, me to his).  At Highland there were 6 full classes of
senior math (using the text book we were using) that was roughly 180 kids
completing four years of math and they had an advance math program with a full
class of advanced students.

The schools then were seperate and not equal. As I recall most of my history
teachers were Phy Ed majors and the only language class offered was spanish!
Imagine that a school with 25-30% spanish speaking kids offers spanish as their
only language.

Chuck Repke
West 7th