Maybe I wasn't clear - the sane guy is the homeless one and the insane guy
has a home and owns the moped.

Both of them served time for felonies, not because they were sick.  I
considered myself at the time to be in the company of guys who could rob or
hurt me and wasn't expecting a Tourette outburst or a Shakespearean
performance, which would have been far more enjoyable than a corkscrew to
my heart.  The sick one was the nice one and the fit one was the mean one.
I got the impression the homeless guy was no more mentally ill than me.

He is not likely to have a computer, a mailbox, a telephone, a car, a bike,
or any form of communication or transportation, so please ask the Ramsey
County Mental Health Advisory Committee to go to these and other dumpsters,
and to the camps, and tell these people to their face, and then offer to
give them a ride.  Or see if Chris Coleman will play his bagpipe and lead
them up to Hamelin or wherever your meeting is.  Telling me about it,
without including a flyer to give them, does not guarantee they will learn
about the event.  If marketers can force advertising on me at nearly every
urinal, surely you could slip an announcement into a plastic flyer-holder
on every bountiful dumpster in town.  If you fear or know that most
dumpster-divers cannot read, use "talking birthday card" technology to
speak to them.  That would be no more annoying to the neighbors than "GO
AHEAD ON PUMP THREE!!!"  If I tell the homeless guy about the RCMHAC, I am
quite confident he will be quick to tell me he does not need any advice on
his state of mental health.

It has been shown that I am not good at psychiatry or psychology or
neurosurgery, so you best leave me out of your "organized" effort.  I will
offer, however, this observation (one of the morals of the story, I guess):

Mental illness will not necessarily result in homelessness, but being
homeless will definitely make you ill.

AMH
Group Home Country
Armstrong Av

PS  With all this talk about schools and rec centers and street urchins, I
propose we expand teen-and-under activities, maybe even build a skateboard
park or something, and then have these felons be the monitors.  One hundred
or so of 10,000 jobs isn't asking for much.  The insane kids (potential
murderers) will quickly be identified (and hence be able to be treated
right away) by misbehaving in the presence of someone capable of tearing
their limbs off.

Andrew M. Hine
Corporate Research Materials Laboratory
3M Center 201-1W-28
St. Paul MN
55144-1000
USA

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   (651) 733-1070
Fax:  (651) 737-5335
Lab 201-W110

             "Renee Jenson"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             .net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  Stpaul@mnforum.org
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          cc
             forum.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [StPaul] For he's a jolly good
             04/21/2005 01:16          felon
             PM

OOOOPS!  You met some of the chronically mentally ill walking around the
streets of St. Paul, Andrew?

Darn, usually they lock us away in the jails or the hospitals.  We're that
pox on society that people don't like to deal with or even look at.  Heaven
forbid that they try and understand what we are going thru and dealing with
each day.  Too hard for them to comprehend.

It's funny, my kids think I shouldn't dress as nice as I do either.  I
don't get my clothes at Joseph's Coat, but I guess I don't fit people's
preconceived ideas of what a mentally ill person is supposed to look like.
I'm supposed to look crazy or deranged or poor or dirty or somethinng all
the time.

BTW, at the next meeting ot the Ramsey County Mental Health Advisory
Committee, which will be May 17th from 6-8pm at 1919 University Avenue, we
will be discussing the Mayor Kelly's new effort to end chronic homelessness
in the city and the Governor's plan to end long term homelessness.  We will
be sending invites to both the Mayor's office and the Governor's office to
send someone to talk with us.  I don't know if anyone will come from either
office but tell your friends they are welcome to come and try to get some
answers.  We are always a tough audience (we ask hard questions) but that's
our job.

In the meantime, Andrew, respect and understanding are always good things
to give a person that is living with a mental illness.  The fact that they
are still surviving, even though it might be just barely, they deserve a
ton of respect.  God bless them.

Renée Jenson
Como

Archive Address: