Thank you for the clarification Andrew.

Of course, I never said you have to be mentally ill to be homeless or that all homeless people have mental health problems. According to research done by Wilder,
- In 2003 20,347 Minnesotans were homeless
- over the past 12 years the number experiencing homelessness has multiplied two and a half times
- Over one third of Minnesota's homeless are children
- 65% are people of color
- and 47 % report having a significant mental health problem

You don't have to have mental health issues to attend the next meeting of the Ramsey County Mental Health Advisory Council on May 17th from 6-8 pm where we will discuss the Mayor's and the Governor's initiatives on homelessness. There are people on our committee who live with mental illness and we will have tough questions if anyone from the Mayor's office or Governor's office shows up. Hopefully they will be able to answer our questions.

Homelessness is a HUGE concern of many people who struggle with mental illness. Yes, I've been there. Thanks to some friends, I didn't have to live in my car or a U haul but life takes some rather unexpected turns.

Andrew, you said:
Maybe I wasn't clear - the sane guy is the homeless one and the >insane guy has a home and owns the moped.

I have a mental illness but I am not "insane". I am "sane". Most people I know who struggle with mental health issues are "sane". Are you trying to say that you believe the homeless man does not have mental health issues and the one who does own a home now has a history of mental illness?

You also said:
Both of them served time for felonies, not because they were sick.

How do you know this? When I was manic I could have been arrested many times for doing things I wouldn't have done when I was well. Thank goodness Ramsey County now has a Mental Health Court (it just started last week) that is going to start filtering some of these offenders out of the court system and into the county mental health resource system.

You also said:
I got the impression the homeless guy was no more mentally ill than me.

It's not an illness you can see. And like you said, you are not an expert. I don't think if you met me you would know that I struggle with mental illness (unless you happened on me on one of my bad days and I told you to _ _ _ _off. Doesn't happen too often. ) I usually do a pretty good job of taking care of myself now.

Andrew again:
He is not likely to have a computer, a mailbox, a telephone, a car, a bike,
or any form of communication or transportation, so please ask the Ramsey
County Mental Health Advisory Committee to go to these and other dumpsters,
and to the camps, and tell these people to their face, and then offer to
give them a ride.

That's why I asked you to tell him and give him a ride Andrew. And I think the meeting would be very enlightening for you also. So bring your friends and join us. You and your friends won't be the only people with mental health issues, or people that have experienced homelessness, or the only "sane" ones who own homes at the meeting.

Renee Jenson
Como

------------------------------------------------- JOIN the St. Paul Issues Forum TODAY: http://www.e-democracy.org/stpaul/ ------------------------------------------------- POST MESSAGES HERE: stpaul@mnforum.org

To subscribe, modify subscription, or get your password - visit: