Isn't XSS usually an attack for information which changes often (mutable
data, blog comments, etc.) and which should NOT normally include your
site's system messages?  So, if your message files get modified to
include XSS code then you either have an employee you should FIRE or a
HACKER which is a bigger problem in and of itself.

As you can see from my above point of view, I happen to view this as a
non-issue as well as a useful feature as it is implemented now.

Regards,
David G. Friedman