Freddy D. wrote:

> The way I understood it is that although allowing markup in a
> message is often not a good idea, it shouldn't be impossible
> either, e.g. if you're running a blog that allows commenters
> to use markup.
>
> I don't know if adding a method to switch on encoding is
> necessary, when you can simply do:
>
> ctx.getMessages().add(new SimpleMessage(
>     "Record ''{0}'' deleted", HtmlUtil.encode(recordName)));
                                 ^^^^^^^^
                                 I didn't know about that method...

> What do you think?

In light of the above, I think it just calls for a note in the docs:

"If you are passing user-supplied input into the error and message
classes, make sure you encode them with HtmlUtil.encode(), otherwise you
are leaving yourself vulnerable to XSS attacks."

--
Alan Burlison